Bandits Reborn
Bandits Reborn
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bandits Reborn - Global
 Off topic
 What books would you recommend?
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  00:35:31  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for some new reading material. I prefer fantasy but I havent read much sci fi in a while. I like some action but a good story is a must too =). No Robert Jordan [:-yuck]. Other non Sci fi or Fantasy would be good too, just want something engaging and fun to read =).

lurking again

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  07:29:23  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried Terry Goodkind?

WOW: Faile, lvl 4x Paladin [retired]
HZ: Faile Bashere, lvl 18 [retired]
AO: Failebashere, lvl 28 [retired]
AC2: Faile, lvl 49 [retired]
AC1: Faile Bashere, lvl 126+ [retired]

Build man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Go to Top of Page

Amy
Bandit Angel

20173 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  08:51:54  Show Profile  Click to see Amy's MSN Messenger address Send Amy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an old book, in fact there are about 7 of them by Piers Anthony..the beginning book is I believe called "RIder on a Pale HOrse". I absolutely loved these. Very different..

Oh and read them in order, if you read them out of order, well it just takes the fun out of the last book, as that was the best imo..

Many people will walk in and out of your life; only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.
Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you know they are always there.

[Kinship]Syrdeth: Pelt Shelt. Got it.

Go to Top of Page

Ysabella
Bandit Nymph

78 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  11:48:35  Show Profile Send Ysabella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... let's see. Have you read Frank Herbert's "Dune" series? I also recommend Timothy Zahn's "Conqueror's" series. They fall into the category of Sci Fi.

If you prefer Fantasy, there's Anne McCraffery's Dragon Riders of Pern. If you like your books to be a bit on the dark side, there's Michael Moorcock's "Elric" books.

Next, if you like science fiction AND action you might check out "The Stainless Steel Rat" can't remember the authors name right now.

Lastly, there's Fred Saberhagen (hope I spelled that right). He writes both fantasy and sci-fi.

WoW - Isabella Level 90 Hunter
EQII - Retired
CoH/CoV - Retired
AC - Retired
LOTRO - Retired
STO - Retired but Long Live the Klingons!
Go to Top of Page

Zeral
Bandit Tinker Bell

716 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  17:31:39  Show Profile Send Zeral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Harry Harrison to be a good read, along with the classics of sci-fi. Stainless steel rat series, Bill the Galactic Hero books, as well.

Also, have you read the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy? Great series with a touch of good humor.
Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  17:42:15  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scifi... definately Dune.. amazing series.. a classic.. anyone who remotely likes SciFi should read this.

I also found Dysfunctinoal Reality by Peter Hamilton an amazing story... Very very innovative. Check out reviews on Amazon.

Build man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Go to Top of Page

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  18:28:50  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking or reading Dune..I never got into it in junior high but would be nice to try it now. I have the original radio script for Hitchhiker..was pulling it out to read again as a matter of fact =). Lotsa great ideas to try people thanks =)

lurking again
Go to Top of Page

Londa
Bandit Worker

154 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  19:37:58  Show Profile Send Londa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my top recomendation is deffinately Dune. Just be warned that there will be some slow parts in the series that are a little tough to get through, but the slow parts are absolutely worth the effort for thr storyline as a whole. Fascinating series! (also, don't forget to look for the prequal trilogy written by his son in the past 5 years, but still read them AFTER the original series. I was plesantly surprised to find they were just as good as his father's.) Also, like others mentioned, Hitchikers' Series, etc. I also very much enjoyed the Xanth Novels by Piers Anthony...a little repetative and pedestrian sometimes (don't even bother with these if you find puns extremely annoying! :p), but humorous overall. Don't forget Asimov's Foundation Trilogy if you haven't read that yet. There's another "light reading" fantasy series featuring a young man, his pet dragon, and his ogre friend that tickled my funnybone a while ago, but for the life of me I can't remember any titles or the author's name--but I do remember the titles were all puns as well. It was probably Piers Anthony again, hehe. My problem is that I love almost everything I read, lol...so I'll stop here.
Go to Top of Page

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  20:35:32  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that was the Myth series...skeeve and his friend Az(?) the pervert(pervect)....cant remember the author but very hilarious =). Last I read he(skeeve) had taken over the mob =)

lurking again
Go to Top of Page

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  20:36:58  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need to print this off, I get to the bookstore and forget all the names I want to look up =). Anyone recommend Phillip K Dick? A few things made into movies but I assume the books are much better?

lurking again
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Monkey
Bandit Monkey

2792 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Click to see Matrix Monkey's MSN Messenger address Send Matrix Monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmmmm cant wait for the new Sci-Fi channel Dune movie..... They did an ok job remaking the original.

Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  07:48:16  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon is your friend. Visit Amazon to get reviews. I always like read those reviews as they give you a sense of how many hundreds of people liked the book - vs. 2-3 recommendations here [:)]

Go to Top of Page

Wan-do
Bandit Mistress

1047 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  18:29:25  Show Profile Send Wan-do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George R R Martin's series "Song of Ice and Fire" starts with a book call "Storm of Swords". It's going to become a fantasy classic, I think. Frim and I have read the first three books and are waiting with much impatience for the next.

(There is a character in the books called Ser Ilyn Payne...he is a very bad man!) ;)

these books are a must for fantasy fans, fantastic stuff

Lurker
Go to Top of Page

Londa
Bandit Worker

154 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  20:20:52  Show Profile Send Londa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooo, yes Rhino that was the one I was thinking of!! Too bad you already read it :(.
Go to Top of Page

Siena
Teh Bandit Devil

1882 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  05:19:14  Show Profile Send Siena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wan-do you were close.

George R. R. Martin's series actually starts with a book called A Game of Thrones.

1st book: A Game of Thrones
2nd book: A Clash of Kings
3rd book: A Storm of Swords

RHINO READ THESE BOOKS NOW!

I mean they are filled with deceit, revenge, vengance, love, hate, cruelty and most importantly...DRAMA! Hehehehehehe...

In all seriousness these are probably my favorite books of all time. They are indeed fantasy but are NOT filled with magic casting, dragons, ect. Just try em :D

[Guild: Poco] Do you really think Amy would eat the CANDY in my pants?
Go to Top of Page

Sakkara
Bandit Mounter

6729 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  05:57:45  Show Profile Send Sakkara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside the Sci-fi realm, I can recommend a few authors.

Douglass Clegg is amazing in horror - and not the slasher kind either. His books are amazing for their innovation and imaginative plot. He's also a great guy and a good friend. Pick up "The Hour Before Midnight".

Tananarive Due - a pulitzer prize-winning journalist who writes some of the best horror around. Her "My Soul To Keep" still has me in awe.

R A Salvatore - another good friend, but he writes sci-fi and is amazing. Any of his books will hook you, and they move much faster than the Dune series.

I also highly recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide series. Douglas Adams was the most talented nut I've ever read.

Enjoy.

Sakk

Sakkara, Human Paladin with Hawt Leggs and Enormous Brestasus
Sakarra, the cutest, uberest mage of do0m and destruction joo eber sawed!!
Sakkie, Keeper of the MOUNT Fund, and all to do with MOUNTing
Sakkara (AC1) 275 Xbow(no longer retired)

No Adere, I am NOT the bride of Chucky!
Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  06:48:43  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sakkara, what are some of the books you've written?

Go to Top of Page

Sakkara
Bandit Mounter

6729 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  08:06:28  Show Profile Send Sakkara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one is in print right now Faile - "Incubus", my latest.

Also wrote Crystal Waterfall - you might be able to get one in a second-hand store, but they are very rare.

Sakk

Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  10:20:26  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anthropologist Martine Murdoch theorizes the existence of an ancient cult of heart-eaters to explain the condition of human remains found hidden within a long-abandoned Mayan city. When the theory is published, her life changes forever. Shunned by the scientific community, Marty sets out to discover the meaning behind a series of recent murders committed using the very techniques she wrote about.

CREEPY!!! Buying it now

Go to Top of Page

Ribbit
Bandit Worker

183 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  10:45:34  Show Profile  Click to see Ribbit's MSN Messenger address Send Ribbit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhino

I believe that was the Myth series...skeeve and his friend Az(?) the pervert(pervect)....cant remember the author but very hilarious =). Last I read he(skeeve) had taken over the mob =)

Skeeve and Aazh from the The Myth Series, by Robert Lynn Asprin

*Ribbit has all the books, and a good portion of the comic book series from looooooong ago*

[:-jump2]
~Ribbit
AO: Shaylen, Uathach, Ribbot
Go to Top of Page

Zeral
Bandit Tinker Bell

716 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  10:44:45  Show Profile Send Zeral a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"If horror is your interest -- and if snakes don't weird you out -- then grab this ebook! It's thrills, chills and action all wrapped up in a tidy plot. I still carefully check my surroundings for wiggly creatures that want to steal my heart. Shudder."

Sounds like something i wouldnt mind checking out [:)]
Go to Top of Page

Sakkara
Bandit Mounter

6729 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2003 :  12:41:52  Show Profile Send Sakkara a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask Tumitac if it's any good (or Nakamuro Zataki) - both have read it.

Sakk

Go to Top of Page

Matrix Monkey
Bandit Monkey

2792 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  18:49:21  Show Profile  Click to see Matrix Monkey's MSN Messenger address Send Matrix Monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greatest book ive ever read....and im not even finished it yet.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Go to Top of Page

BonnieFoo
Bandit Nymph

65 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  09:24:08  Show Profile Send BonnieFoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantasy: I'd recommend "Waylander" By David Gemmell. I don't normally read fatasy, but I overheard someone talking about this book in chat in Cavendo a while back. I picked it up and actually liked it.

SciFi: I read _alot_ of sci-fi. Ysabella is correct about the Timithy Zhan's Conqueror series. Its a great read.

Kinda rare, which I highly recommend is Timothy Zahn's "Triplet"

Other Sci-Fi

"Armor" by John Steakley
"Path of the Fury" by David Weber
"Mutineers Moon" & "Armageddon Inheritance" series by David Weber
"Technogenesis" by Syne Mitchell
"A Coming of Age" by Timothy Zahn
"Caves of Steel" series by Isaac Asimov

Alternate History:
"Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove - American Civil War, the Confederates get AK-47 rifles from the future
"WorldWar series" by Harry Turledove - What if Aliens with 21st century tech invade during WWII

-----
BonnieFoo School of KungFoo
FooCrat - lvl 53 Crat
KickFoo - lvl 33 MA
Go to Top of Page

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  09:32:34  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is a Waylander II...also a very good book.

lurking again
Go to Top of Page

Siena
Teh Bandit Devil

1882 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  11:39:37  Show Profile Send Siena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another series I would recommend is The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

Book one: Assassin's Apprentice
Book two: Royal Assassin
Book three: Assassin's Quest

Its the story of a royal bastard who is trained to be an assassin for his family.

Quite excellent. Griff and I were fighting over these books. [:)]

Go to Top of Page

Rhino
Bandit Noble

1916 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  21:55:29  Show Profile Send Rhino a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok I started the Game of Thrones and I dont want to put it down...but I dont want to be finished it too soon either so I force myself to log on and play some =)

great so far

lurking again
Go to Top of Page

Kailorn
Bandit MOMO

1272 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  22:36:06  Show Profile Send Kailorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STAR WARS... the ones before the Del Rey bastiches took over the franchise and killed Chewie =P

Timothy Zahn has written two novelas (one trilogy, one duology) in the SWU, both are excellent, that man is just an incredible writer. If you only read five SW novels (lol), read these.

Yeah I'm a fanboy, BRING IT!! Why, why did Chewie have to die?! It's CHEWIE!! Heartless sons of.. excuse me! *runs off sobbing*

Human Mage WoW
Voyd NE Rogue WoW

"... it's not the world that's heavy, it's just the things that you save and I am driftin, driftin away..."
Go to Top of Page

Siena
Teh Bandit Devil

1882 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  05:57:26  Show Profile Send Siena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
w00t go Rhino! Actually I should tell you this. In the Song of Fire and Ice series; A Game of Thrones is my least favorite book.

The series gets better.

Go to Top of Page

Wan-do
Bandit Mistress

1047 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  16:01:44  Show Profile Send Wan-do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now you can pre order the next book on Amazon. but it's not due out till September :(

Lurker
Go to Top of Page

D-K
Super Uber Gnome Bandit Mage of Doom

7081 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  22:22:08  Show Profile Send D-K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anybody read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King?

I really enjoyed them except for the fact it's not finished yet.

Minidk - Level 100 mage
Dkaye - Level 100 Warlock
Dekayenth - Level 100 Druid
Deekaye - Level 100 Hunter
Pitadk - Level 100 Warrior
Dekayed - Level 100 Monk
Demondeekay - Level 100 Demon Hunter
Deeknight - Level 100 Death Knight
Deekayman - Level 61 Shaman

Go to Top of Page

Dancin Eyes
Bandit Duchess

672 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  23:32:00  Show Profile Send Dancin Eyes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't read much science fiction, or horror books. I like to read DICK books!

( . ) ( . )

AC1 (still!): Dancinbow - Level 205
Go to Top of Page

Londa
Bandit Worker

154 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2003 :  13:45:36  Show Profile Send Londa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read two of The Dark Tower ones. Now, it takes quite a bit for me not to like a book. I can only think of maybe three times I've put down a book and never picked it up again. One of those times was on the second book of this series. I'm a King fan--he may take too long to do it sometimes, but he tells good stories. But THIS time it was just Horrible!! It was Agony!! I kept waiting for the plot, but it just NEVER HAPPENED. I figured if there was no plot by halfway through the second book there was just never gonna be one :).
Go to Top of Page

borg king
Bandit Borg

899 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  17:47:57  Show Profile Send borg king a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i persoanly like noble house and tai pan

Jacksparrow
borgking
rogain
borghunter

Go to Top of Page

Darklynx
Bandit Agent

2776 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  09:15:02  Show Profile Send Darklynx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you said how much you like the rainbow six games, have you ever read the book called Rainbow six? Im halfway through it right now and although im not much of a book reader I think its pretty decent.

(GW2)(Swtor)(Rift)(WoW)(Horizons)(CoH)(AO)(AC2)(AC1)(M59)

Go to Top of Page

Kellzen
Bandit Lackey

2669 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  13:08:46  Show Profile Send Kellzen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rainbow Six is one of my favorite books. Clancy has written a few sleepers recently, but Rainbow Six, Patriot Games and Without Remorse remain some of my favorite books. I defnitly couldn't put them down.

I started reading A Game of Thrones. I must admit, there's great potential once all the solid preliminary character development gets tossed into the political sh*t storm that is hinted at.

Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  13:32:46  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hhehe, just wait and see Kellz

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bandits Reborn © 2000 - 2008 Bandits Reborn Go To Top Of Page
Monitored By AzureWatch