Bandits Reborn
Bandits Reborn
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Obsolete Forums
 AC1: Off-topic general messages
 More comp problems
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:23:33  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
Looks like this configuration flaked out overnight. I'm going to go downtown and see what the price on a new motherboard is and take it from there. Frustrating!

Gensi.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:27:47  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Poque how old is the board?
Have you flashed the BIOS to date? (prolly a new one out)
Is the time slipping or losing configuration on drives? (battery)
Checked for drivers for your OS for the board and ALL components? (be amazed at what things actually have drivers that help them perform better, lol)

Sorry you are having all these problems and hope ya get it cleared up. What exactly is it doing, or not doing, heh?

Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  12:39:58  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
It's a first-revision Athlon K7M motherboard (over two years old?) with an Athlon 750 Slot-A. The root of the problem is probably the memory upgrade to PC133x512MB, which some sites say is unstable/unreliable on this motherboard, but I couldn't find PC100 memory anywhere.

I upgrade the BIOS to the latest official revision, installed the drivers for the AGP Miniport, north & south side bridges... I'll go downtown and see how much a K7V motherboard is, if not just a standard Intel P3 with a cheapo 900Mhz or something...

Gensi.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:18:25  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
redux:

new mobo and p3 chip, costing under $200 total, and the damn thing is still strange. during install, the vga install screen has vertical lines. i'm wondering if the video card is bad now. or memory? i dunno, this is frustrating me a little lol. i'll see if it can boot in to windows when this install is over.

poque/gensi

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:26:00  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Ouch got a crap card to double check with?

Go all latest drivers, check seating of the card and then go same settings for the desktop as the game and see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:28:35  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
bah it was the video card. piece of rubbish.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:30:41  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
I think that the motherboard and the video card were both having problems. I wonder if I can even run the game on this old card (matrox)...

Poque.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:51:32  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Check compatability with directx 8.1 and make sure the drivers are current and you should be OK. Sad thing is you coulda gotta a decent card for what you paid for the mobo/cpu upgrade.

Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  18:58:13  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
This is bordering on absurd now. Having a heck of a time getting the matrox to even work now. Drivers are installed, but getting blue screens when I run IE to download other drivers. :/

Boo.

Poque.

EDIT: explorer is bluescreening on bootup now.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE

Edited by - Poque on 10/12/2002 19:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  19:09:11  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Evil, something has risen up and possesed your system. Get a priest or some evian or something.

Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2002 :  23:50:18  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
Well a trip to the bar has eased some of the stress. I'm going to get a replacement vid card tomorrow and see how it goes. Hope you guys had fun in game :)

Gensi.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Poque
Bandit Philosopher

2958 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  13:59:23  Show Profile Send Poque a Private Message
Welp now that my machine is practically completely new, and I have XP running nicely on it, I'm installing E&B again. Man, hehe I hope it all works.

Gensi.

Poque, war/life
Gensi, 30ish JE
Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  14:07:10  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Well it was an excuse to upgrade .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bandits Reborn © 2000 - 2008 Bandits Reborn Go To Top Of Page
Monitored By AzureWatch