Bandits Reborn
Bandits Reborn
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bandits Reborn - Global
 Off topic
 Possibly moving to OH
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matrix Monkey
Bandit Monkey

2794 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  15:35:10  Show Profile  Click to see Matrix Monkey's MSN Messenger address Send Matrix Monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have some OH Bandits don't we?

Got a job offer and they gave me a choice of 3 cities.

Lorain
Findlay
and Chillicothe

I can't decide between them if anyone has any input.

Thanks!

Clest
Bandit Furniture Shredder

4821 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  10:03:07  Show Profile Send Clest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope you enjoy the move. I have only driven through OH once, and haven't heard of the names of these cities. So I'll be of no help :p

/KNIT

AMAT VICTORIA CURAM - Victory favors those who take pains

"Another furry purry to shred the furniture." - Pach
Go to Top of Page

Pach
Bandit Dwagon

18375 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  21:53:49  Show Profile Send Pach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in Ohio, yup, and I have input. :)

Lorain is part of the Cleveland Metro area. It's up near the coast of Lake Erie, which means... LAKE EFFECT SNOW. However, being close to Cleveland, you have all the advantages of a large metro area: many stores, activities, etc. I live less than 1 hour from Lorain, and can give you the most information about this area.

Findlay is on the west side of Ohio. If some very old memories are correct (I haven't been there in over a decade), it's a fairly decent metro area, but completely surrounded by farmland. However, it's only 30 minutes south of Bowling Green, and about an hour from Toledo. I can't say much more than that other than Bowling Green is a University town--Bowling Green State University is there, and it was one of the larger universities on the west side of Ohio (and a popular choice for kids from Toledo, where I grew up). It does have a major interstate connecting it to BG and Toledo.

Chillicothe I've never been to, but I challenge you to find it on a map without using a search function. It's a very SMALL community in the middle of nowhere (I think farm country). It's roughly equi-distant from Columbus, Cincinnati, and Dayton--about 1 hour from each, but there are no Interstates connecting it to anything (just small US and State routes). If you pull it up on the map, there are a number of large parklands nearby.

I know someone who lives roughly near Chillicothe, and I know he loves it down there (away from everything), so it depends what you want.

You will not get as much snow in either Findlay or Chillicothe as you will in Lorain. On the plus side, Lorain is on the west side of Cleveland, and most lake effect is downtown or east side. It can still get it, but may not get as much.

Hope this gives you a starting point... if you have other factors you want input on, I'll do my best to help out!

Edit: Syrdeth lives closer to Lorain than I do. I've poked him to come visit and give input as well.

Oh, and if you do take the job and decide on Lorain, let us know... at the very least, I'll meet you somewhere and treat you to dinner. ;)

--Pach
Pacha, 65 hobbit burglar
Apachalypse, 30-something dorf guardian
... and a whole bunch of other alts with "Pach" in them...
(retired) WoW: Pach, level 80!! Night Elf Rogue (Pockaholic with dragon flying mount)
"Life is good. Flight is better." -- me

Edited by - Pach on 01/29/2015 22:03:19
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Monkey
Bandit Monkey

2794 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  16:44:16  Show Profile  Click to see Matrix Monkey's MSN Messenger address Send Matrix Monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ended up deciding on Findlay. I heard its boring but I'm from a boring western MD town with about half the population of Findlay so I'm used to it.

Chillicothe apparently is a rough little town and has a paper mill that makes it smell like shit, the only upside I could find was it being closer to state parks.

I considered Lorain but from what I read it's a little rough and I would've probably had to live in another community nearby live Avon or Oberlin and commute to work. Being 30m from Cleveland wasn't a huge draw since I'm not much of an active person anyway and I'll still be close to a bigger city in Findlay anyway if the mood strikes.

Still waiting on paperwork and official offer so its not 100% yet but they said they want me to start Feb. 23. I'll probably be up that way looking for an apartment in a week or two.

Thanks for your input Pach. Somehow I don't know anyone in OH despite living in MD most of my life (it ain't that far) so I was scrambling around asking anyone I could think of on the internet, haha. Reddit was helpful and a couple of guys I used to play Madden with are from the area and they gave me their input.

Should be exciting, hopefully I meet some people, I'm not the best at making friends but if I struggle at least I'll have more time for video games, haha.

Go to Top of Page

Pach
Bandit Dwagon

18375 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  16:55:11  Show Profile Send Pach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you aren't a big city person (which I'm not), then Findlay would be an excellent choice.

I didn't know about the paper mill in Chillicothe, but I know least about that one.

Let me know if you end up going to Findlay. I don't know anyone out that way, but I've been known to pass that way from time to time (usually for cat shows...)

--Pach
Pacha, 65 hobbit burglar
Apachalypse, 30-something dorf guardian
... and a whole bunch of other alts with "Pach" in them...
(retired) WoW: Pach, level 80!! Night Elf Rogue (Pockaholic with dragon flying mount)
"Life is good. Flight is better." -- me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bandits Reborn © 2000 - 2008 Bandits Reborn Go To Top Of Page
Monitored By AzureWatch