Bandits Reborn
Bandits Reborn
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Obsolete Forums
 AC1: Off-topic general messages
 XP/Microsoft
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amy
Bandit Angel

20174 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  10:26:24  Show Profile  Click to see Amy's MSN Messenger address Send Amy a Private Message
OK, here is the deal, I have Windows Professional 2000 which I hate, and want to replace it with XP. I know that alot of you have it out there, and just want to know did you run into any problems, installing etc. We do have a friend that is highly knowledgable coming to install, but I would like to be forwarned if there are issues that I should know about. Also, as far as XP with AC, is that a smooth process or are there problems that can happen that I need to know about. THe other thing,...networking with XP...Poco and I have our computers networking, is there anything special about that process. Is XP Home Version user friendly, as I find that Prof 2000, is surely not. And besides that it takes forever for Prof to load, darn I can clean the house before it finally loads, well maybe not the entire house but close. It even takes a long time to close. I figure if I have this super fast comp , the the OS should be fast also. Any hints and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. THanks

Ser_Ilyne_Payne
Bandit Soldier

931 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  13:23:36  Show Profile  Click to see Ser_Ilyne_Payne's MSN Messenger address  Send Ser_Ilyne_Payne a Yahoo! Message Send Ser_Ilyne_Payne a Private Message
I've been using XP home since it's official release. If you definetly want to avoid any problems, format and install from the CD. The upgrade edition will allow you to do this (much to my happiness). I had some problems after upgrading where my video card would crash my system. Haven't had it since I did the "native" install.

Payne

=========================
Radio Shack
You've got questions.
We've got blank stares.
Go to Top of Page

Faile Bashere
Flaming Bandit

9272 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2002 :  13:38:51  Show Profile  Send Faile Bashere an AOL message  Send Faile Bashere an ICQ Message  Click to see Faile Bashere's MSN Messenger address  Send Faile Bashere a Yahoo! Message Send Faile Bashere a Private Message
Installing fresh rather than upgading is always better. Always.

I dont have any experience with XP Home edition, but am running XP Pro and love it. Before installing make sure that you have all the latest hardware. If you have some older pieces of hardware (like old sound card, or old network card) verify that they are XP compliant by visiting microsoft.com

AC works just fine in XP for me and most other people :)

Faile Bashere - lvl 113 three school dagger with lockpick and crossbow
Go to Top of Page

Amy
Bandit Angel

20174 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  05:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see Amy's MSN Messenger address Send Amy a Private Message
Ok, so I am a bit slow to respond. However did not have it installed yet, and have a few more ??

Payne: Format and install from CD? Does this mean I have to lose everything I have currently on my cmputer? Darn I hate doing that and trying to retrieve everything. Next: Native install, what the heck is that...I at least have heard of Format, but native?

Faile: So your suggestion is to buy the complete version? Not the upgrade and do a fresh install with that? And basically I need to check with the site to make sure that everything is compliant with XP before, do I need to ck mother board, etc?? Sound card is on board, while video card is not...

And although, I have this nice computer remember someone else built it for me, and I sure dont have a clue most of the time when it comes to these things. And I seem to always get pretty honest answers from you all, as compared to some, as they are pushing one thing or another. I will say that the comp guy did get 2000prof running faster and that is much better. But I still really like the look of XP also. Simple and clean, has a nice look about it.

Go to Top of Page

Bargynin
Bandit Worker

148 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2002 :  19:06:43  Show Profile Send Bargynin a Private Message
Amy,

A native install is a "fresh" install...Completely wipe your programs / data / OS / etc. and start from scratch.

I will agree that it is a pain, because you always forget to backup something that you'll need...but...in the long run it'll save you a lot of pain. You get rid of any programs that you've installed and haven't run in months. You get the latest drivers, a clean registry and an organized hard drive.

I've been running XP home since November and have been pleased. No AC problems at all. But...this was a new system with the latest and greatest gadgets. If you have a system more than about 1.5 years old, you'll need to make sure that all of the hardware is compatible. I suspect that if you're running 2000 now, you should be fine.

Just my 2p.

-Bargynin

My Clique is Better than Siena's!

Now an Official Card-Carryin' Member of Seina's Clique!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Go to Top of Page

Amy
Bandit Angel

20174 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  05:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see Amy's MSN Messenger address Send Amy a Private Message
Okies folks, next Monday is the day. But I came up with a brainstorm. Actually I have 2 harddrives in my computer. I have the one that I have Win2000 Prof on and another that is quite small, like 8gig or something. So I am replacing the 8 with a new 60 and will keep the 40 with Win2000 on it. It will be the 2nd harddrive and the new one will have XP on it. Now I figure I dont have to worry about saving anything cause it will all be on the other harddrive and I can just move from one to another. (Am I correct in this?) So it will be the best of both. Fresh install, on new harddrive, and ... everything still saved on old harddrive. Now my question also is, this a good idea? My system runs great, I just happen to not like 2000Prof...

Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2002 :  07:51:52  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
Yes you can xfer files from one drive to the other. If you have another drive and plan to use both that is generally the best bet. I'd suggest transfering the files and formatting the old one as soon as you are comfortable you got everything otherwise you'll be stuck with a drive full of crap (including an old O/S).

PS: And a clean install is always the best answer too much stuff gets left and/or messed up with a dirty install.

Go to Top of Page

Amy
Bandit Angel

20174 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  06:04:03  Show Profile  Click to see Amy's MSN Messenger address Send Amy a Private Message
Well its installed with only a few little setbacks, which Kromme and Faile were good enough to help with. Thanks again guys. Now I need to move everything, and remember this is me (comp dumb) that is asking but I thought my orginal idea of just transferring files from one hard drive to the other would work. But...it seems when I am pulling up D to transfer to C, the same info is there. In other words, on D is my old address book, my favs, etc, and when I go there I only see what I have on the new hard drive, which is C. Now this does not make alot of sense to me, except I guess there is no way to boot from both hard drives so I am just seeing the info on C.? So how can I possibly move from D to C w/o going into bios and resetting, and besides the delete does not work, trying to get there.
Is it F1 or F2, to access the Bios in XP? I guess what I am figuring is somehow I need to have both harddrives boot up, is that possible. If not, then I need to get the old one to boot up and be able to at least get the stuff on a floppy, to transfer to the new XP. Hope this all makes sense, lol...and thanks for any info provided.

Go to Top of Page

Steelwind_Oo
Bandit Noble

1132 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  07:55:00  Show Profile  Send Steelwind_Oo an AOL message  Click to see Steelwind_Oo's MSN Messenger address  Send Steelwind_Oo a Yahoo! Message Send Steelwind_Oo a Private Message
To get your files off the second drive it does not need to be booted from. If it is attached to the computer and recognized in BIOS there should be no problem seeing both drives and transfering files back and forth. Make sure they are properly set (master/slave/cable select), all connections are solid and they are recognized in BIOS (usually del during the initial boot, depends on manufacturer though).

Oh ah one other thing. If you just stuck the second drive in and told xp to install to it you are installed on D and C is still your bootable drive. If this is the case be careful what you delete, you could make your computer unusable. This is not an optimal configuration and can be a bit confusing but it works. My laptop is like that due to many, many, reinstalls and cleanups, lol.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Bandits Reborn © 2000 - 2008 Bandits Reborn Go To Top Of Page
Monitored By AzureWatch